Rishi has visited a major tourist attraction in his constituency to see how it is welcoming visitors back safely and planning for an exciting future.
He called at Mount Grace Priory, near Osmotherley, which re-opened to visitors last month.
An advance booking system has been introduced to manage the flow of visitors to the ruin of a 14th century Carthusian priory and the adjacent 13th century manor house.
Rishi spoke to the managers and staff about the precautions put in place to ensure a Covid-19-secure environment.
He also heard about the plans English Heritage – which operates the attraction for The National Trust – have to develop its appeal.
A new café built using reclaimed oak and slate has re-opened and has been so successfully there are plans to extend it.
Work is also taking place on constructing a new, safer access to the attraction from the A19. Acceleration and deceleration lanes are being added to the southbound carriage access following a campaign by Rishi to have dangerous crossing points on the busy road closed on safety grounds.
This autumn visitors will able to enjoy access via new timber bridge to an island in the grounds formed by a moat.
The purpose of the moat is a mystery because no evidence of a structure has ever been found on the island.
Simon Bean, English Heritage’s head of historic properties for Yorkshire, said the Priory’s staff were delighted to be back open again and welcoming visitors.
“Despite Covid-19 we’ve got some exciting aspirations to make Mount Grace even more attractive to visitors,” he said.
“The new access from the A19 should be completed by the middle of September and we think that will make a big difference. We know motorists found getting in and out quite challenging at times.”
Rishi said Mount Grace was a stunning spot. “It has been well looked after during lockdown and the gardens look particularly beautiful at the moment.
“The booking system works well and visitors can be confident that they can enjoy their time at Mount Grace safely.”
The attraction’s café is offering 50 per cent discounts on food Monday to Wednesday under the Government’s Eat Out to Help Out until the end of August.